Saturday, January 7, 2012

Family Resemblances

Today, I jumpstart my genealogy blog.  Due to some illness running through my family, I've had to take a sabbatical.

Thanks to the efforts of some great genealogists, I am going to follow some of their prompts.  I may have a creative gene, but I do not have an original gene.  If someone gives me the idea, I can go into orbit with it.  But if I have to come up with an idea, I will ponder and ponder and not get anywhere!

Here is today's prompt:  1. Upload your favorite picture and talk about it on your blog. Answer the who/what/when/where/why of the subject matter and explain why it is your favorite.

Now this is an easy one and a fun one! 

Years and years ago, when I was only five years old, my dad stuck me up in a cherry tree and snapped my picture.

Peggy in cherry tree at age 5, Mansfield, Ohio


For years and years, when my parents would drag out the old Argus slide projector for an evening of looking at photos, that picture would always come up, and I would think, "Look how cute I used to be!"  Others that saw it encouraged my dad to submit it to a magazine for their cover, or maybe even a calendar.

But, he never did.

I inherited all of my dad's slides.  Mr. Kerry always favored this picture, and as a surprise, he took it and had an 8 X 10 enlargement made of it.  I framed it, hung it on the wall, and didn't think too much about it.

One day, son Jordan came in, stopped and looked at it for a long time before asking, "Mom, when was I up in a cherry tree?"  I told him that the photo was not him, but me!

He looked at me, certain that I was fibbing, and we continued to go around and around about it.  I finally convinced him.

Then, I was going through photos of my own family.  I stopped in my tracks as I found one of Jordan.


Yep, we are certainly mother and son!

As I continue to look through older photos, I wonder how many of my ancestors claimed a resemblance to their parents, grandparents, etc. 

Who do I look like?  I can't wait to see them! 


1 comment: